Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Great Spirit Also Forget




"Then I discovered that her throat was swollen and red. My poor child, how I cried with her because the Great Spirit had forgotten us! "At last, when we reached this western country, on the first weary night your sister died. And soon your uncle died also, leaving a widow and an orphan daughter [ ]" ("My Mother"; Impressions of an Indian Childhood by Zitkala SA)

[ ] The lowly child that God stole from me
knew how to help me simply by loving me;
it was the happiness of my life
to see her eyes watching me.
[ ] Did you think, then, fatal master,
that through contemplating you,
I would no longer see that sweet being,
and it could well go away? [ ]
(Victor Hugo; "Three Years Later"; Les Contemplations)

God, o God. Why not me, old fool... useless body! Why did you take my son?
(A father, who has just lost his son)

----
Human made in His image, the ancients say we are
We grow up watching mother praising Him
And with time we understand, things are not just granted
We start praising, showing good examples
Pleasing mother twice by pleasing Him
And mother praise Him for who we are

"Mother, when I am tall [ ], you shall not have to come for water.
I will do it for you." (Zitkala SA; "My Mother")

And then mother got sick, very sick...she pray, we pray
We all praise Him, We trust Him, He is Father
...We are powerless, she suffers so much
She will get better, we believe Him, believe in Him
Mother will get better, her grand-children need her
She is holding on by faith, she says "He is my strength"

And, Mother? Mother? G'morning mother...
She is not any more, not here any more
No, this is not the way it ought to happen
We didn't finish what we have planned for her
Taking care of her for the rest of her life
She is gone in the middle of the night, before dawn, no g'bye

In His image we have been created
A father runs away from his spring
A mother gives away her baby
A young man unloved find peace in death
Where is Our Father? Why such a heavy loneliness
It is so cold, I can't feel His warmth, Are You there, Father?



2 comments:

  1. 20/20 That's a sad but moving poem you've created...I won't always be able to accept poetry as your "reflection" but this one is memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, please remember to use the format -- including the heading -- that is specified on the syllabus for these journals. I know it seems a bit tedious/picky, but it really does help me grade more quickly and accurately (with so many journals to read each week I need all the help I can get).

    ReplyDelete